I've MOVED! Come check out my new website and blog! reneeyeoman.com

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My 2nd ever trail race

Race day!  The Xterra race didn't start until 9am this morning, which seemed so late.  I woke with in a panic about three minutes before my alarm was set to go off.  This may be the first time I've ever slept all night the night before a race!  Packet pick up started at 7am and I planned to get there around 7:30am, but the drive was a lot quicker than I anticipated, so I ended up sitting in my van waiting for a long time before I got out and walked around.  I walked around for a while before it was start time and took some pictures.  

It was a small race and all three distances, 5k, 10k & 21k were on the same course, out and back, with the 5k turning around first, then 10k and finally the 21k.  There were only 40 runners in the 21k, and I counted only 13 other women.  The first mile or so consisted of some tight single track and then dilapidated asphalt.  Then it was on to double track the whole rest of the way.  It was a beautiful course with lots of loose rocks and dirt, with some areas of smooth loose sand.  It was a much more difficult course than I had anticipated with lots of steep, short climbs followed by steep, short downhills.  It was only 35 degrees at the start, but quickly heated up and was 65 degrees by the finish.  I was hot and poured lots of water on my head and back.  It was fun and challenging and I finished right on target!  I told Jeff last night that I thought I could finish in approximately two and a half hours.  And, what do ya know?

I also must mention the race director and all the volunteers.  They were just great.  Very nice people.  Plus, I won some Paul Mitchell hair care in the raffle and got a free sports massage after.  All in all, a great day!  

The drive through Parley's Canyon.
Near the starting area.

About half an hour before the start of the race.  
I couldn't help but snap a few photos on the run.  Mostly while hiking up sections of steep uphill.


The downhill section on the other side of this hill was worth the hike!  


My medal!

13 miles
2 hrs 39 min
12:13 pace

**UPDATE**
The official race results are out!  My finish time is 2:36:38.8 which makes my pace 12:03!!!  AWESOME!  I was 11th out of 14 women.  There we no age division break ups, but if there had been I would have been the first (and only) woman in the 35-39.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me feel loved.